Home > People
Global Vice Chairman, Promontory Financial Group (UK) Ltd
Michael advises clients on a wide variety of regulatory matters in the United Kingdom and beyond, having served as managing director of the country’s Financial Services Authority and an executive director of the Bank of England. Michael has 15 years of regulatory experience and over 40 years’ experience in banking and the financial markets.
Michael worked for 29 years as an economist, market operator, and bank regulator at the Bank of England. He also served the first two terms as a managing director of the United Kingdom’s Financial Services Authority, and was the inspector of Banks & Trust Companies for the Central Bank of the Bahamas.
- M.A., Pembroke College, University of Cambridge, England
- M.A., Yale University
- Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)
- Reviewed the effectiveness of the board and the risk function of a major non-U.K. bank.
- Led a multidisciplinary team for a non-U.K. regulator on bank resolution issues in the wake of the global financial crisis.
- Advised a major firm on its license application to the U.K.’s Financial Services Authority.