Home > People
Barak J. Sanford
B.J. specializes in the interaction of financial regulation with business strategy and industry innovation. He helps financial services firms understand and respond to changes in their regulatory environment, and assists them with regulatory applications, business plans, and gap remediation in connection with strategic initiatives. In addition to advising traditional banking organizations, B.J. regularly works with non-traditional and innovative financial services companies, including those straddling the boundary between bank and non-bank.
Before joining Promontory, B.J. was an attorney at the law firm of Covington & Burling, where he advised clients on a broad range of financial services regulatory matters. He served as regulatory counsel in connection with mergers, acquisitions, charter conversions, and other transactions. He also conducted governance and management reviews of financial institutions and assisted financial services clients with regulatory and legislative advocacy. He began his career as a law clerk to the appellate Judge A. Raymond Randolph of the District of Columbia Circuit.
- J.D., magna cum laude, New York University School of Law
- B.A., University of Maryland, College Park
- Co-chair, Regulatory Task Force, Women in Housing and Finance
- Vice chair of the Subcommittee on Compliance, Examinations, and Audit, American Bar Association Banking Law Committee
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Assisted banks, holding companies, and investors with business plans required in connection with regulatory applications or enforcement actions.
- Advised financial institutions anticipating new forms of regulatory supervision on identifying and closing regulatory gaps.
- Advised banks and non-banks on strategy and compliance management for third-party arrangements.
- Helped clients structure or remediate innovative products in light of financial privacy and consumer financial protection regulation affecting payments, consumer lending, credit reporting, and online services.