Home > People
David advises clients on all aspects of investment management governance, risk management, and compliance oversight. His clients include boards of directors and senior management as well as professionals in risk advisory, internal audit, legal, and compliance. As a co-leader of Promontory’s Asset Management Group, David helps firms develop and enhance their governance structures and improve programs related to risk management and compliance.
- Conducted comprehensive enterprise-wide review and risk assessment of the asset management operations of several large global banks.
- Led an evaluation of a compliance program for a large regional bank under regulatory sanction, focusing on the bank’s broker-dealer, insurance, and investment management areas; also developed supervisory and compliance manuals.
- Conducted a global trading practices review and assessment for a large global asset manager.
Prior to joining Promontory, David founded Thelander Advisers to assist investment management clients in managing business, operational, and compliance risks. He also was a Director in Deloitte’s Regulatory and Capital Markets Consulting practice for five years. Before Deloitte, he ran Asia Legal Services for Wellington Management Company, served as a Senior Vice President of the Investment Advice and Products division of Charles Schwab & Co., and was Senior Vice President and Chief Counsel to Schwab’s International Group. David also was General Counsel for Montgomery Asset Management and led North America Legal and Compliance for GT Global/Liechtenstein Global Trust. In public service, David served as Senior Counsel, Division of Enforcement, with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C., specializing in insider trading and complex financial fraud cases. He also served at the SEC as Attorney Adviser, Division of Corporation Finance.
- J.D. (cum laude), Vermont Law School
- B.A., Political Science, State University of New York at Oswego
- Former Trustee, Vermont Law School
- Former Alderman, Board of Aldermen, Burlington, Vermont
- President, Student Bar Association, Vermont Law School